Convert Your Thinking              

July 7th, 2009:

Gas Leak Forces Evacuation of 450 Homes

American Energy Coalition - July 7th, 2009

Authorities evacuated 450 homes in Essex, Vt., after a gas line ruptured and a fire erupted, according to an account by WPTZ TV News. A one-inch hole formed in an underground steel gas line after a power line came down in a storm and apparently sent a strong electric charge through a street sign pole, burning a hole in the pipe. The current ignited the natural gas, sending flames shooting several feet out of the ground. Firefighters evacuated nearby neighborhoods, as Vermont Gas and Green Mountain Power crews shut off service to hundreds of residential and commercial customers.

Follow Us!

Please be sure to follow the American Energy Coalition on Twitter (@AEC_Education) and like us on Facebook. We'll help you stay abreast of the latest news about America's energy policies and supplies.

Tags

  • E-Alert
  • 2009 News