Convert Your Thinking              

November 26th, 2011:

Gas Leak Sends Seven Pa. Residents to the Hospital

American Energy Coalition - November 26th, 2011

Seven people in Reading, Pa., were rushed to the hospital Monday afternoon for treatment of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning related to leaking utility gas, according to a report on WFMZ TV 69. 

Firefighters were called to the scene around noon on Monday, where they found high levels of the gas in six attached homes on the block, including one that measured above 200 parts per million, the report states. 

The average level for a home without a gas stove varies from 0.5 to 5 parts per million, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. Levels near properly adjusted gas stoves are often five to 15 ppm, according to WFMZ. 

Two adults and five children were experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and were taken to the hospital. Fire crews on the scene said they pinpointed the source of the gas to a blocked chimney that is shared by two of the homes. 

Close to 200 people die each year as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. 

To read the WFMZ TV 69 report, click here.

Follow Us!

Please be sure to follow the American Energy Coalition on Twitter (@AEC_Education) and like us on Facebook. We'll help you stay abreast of the latest news about America's energy policies and supplies.

Tags

  • E-Alert
  • 2011 News