Convert Your Thinking              

July 2nd, 2009:

Gas Fire Forces Evacuation

American Energy Coalition - July 2nd, 2009

A police officer was injured and emergency workers evacuated a neighborhood in Hammond, Ind., after a downed power line sparked a natural gas fire, according to an account in the Munster, Ind., Times. A 15-foot fiery orange plume shot up from the street until gas crews were able to turn off the utility gas supply in the area. Authorities also detected natural gas seeping into sewers on the west side of Kennedy Avenue and evacuated homes and businesses in the vicinity for about five hours.

Follow Us!

Please be sure to follow the American Energy Coalition on Twitter (@AEC_Education) and like us on Facebook. We'll help you stay abreast of the latest news about America's energy policies and supplies.


  • E-Alert
  • 2009 News